Thursday 11 September 2014

The Inbetweeners Movie
Dir: Ben Palmer
2011
****
I shouldn't like it, on paper is sounds pretty awful but I love the TV series because it isn't as unrealistic as most teen comedies, I can see a lot of me and my mates in the four of them. Our language was crude, we did silly things, we were totally useless with girls etc etc. There is nothing more pathetic than a 16 year old boy, fact. The Inbetweeners capture this brilliantly, it is contemporary but I can still totally relate to them, even though I was in their position 17 years before them. Anyway, the film version is an extra long episode really - that is, three really good episodes back to back. There is a long tradition of British sitcoms making a film version abroad but this is the exception in that they do exactly what most teenagers do after they leave school and get pissed up in Malia/Ibiza/Magaluf etc. They do not get mixed up in a mafia job, a bank robbery or a mistaken identity spy operation. It's very rude, very silly, very funny and very charming in its own little way. One of the funniest scenes of all time, the boys dancing up to the girls in an empty club - I was in hysterics. If you haven't seen the TV series before - you should, but do not attempt watching this film until you have!

No comments:

Post a Comment