Monday 8 September 2014

The Phantom
Dir: Simon Wincer
1996
***
Aside from the bad script and the fact that the story doesn't really ever go anywhere, The Phantom wasn't all that bad. I thought Billy Zane was perfectly cast, as was Treat Williams. It was in essence a tribute to The Phantom series of 1943 starring Tom Tyler, doing all the things they couldn't afford to do rather than modernising the character and story for the kids. I think they made the right decision. It just needed a better story, a slightly bigger budget and a few tweaks here and there and it would have been great. I think it's time the Phantom was resurrected, I think Billy Zane would probably still do the role justice too but I doubt it will ever happen. Although these days you just never know...

No comments:

Post a Comment