Wednesday 22 October 2014

The Woman in Black
Dir: James Watkins
2012
***
The Woman in Black is directed beautifully by James Watkins who I have to say has done really well considering this is only his second feature film. The cinematography, set, props, costume etc are fantastic and really make the film. The acting is not so great though, Roger Allam and Janet McTeer are good in their supporting roles but I'm afraid this film only backs up my opinions regarding Daniel Radcliffe's acting skills - he hasn't got any. Shame really, as this film obviously used his big name and his 'What's he going to do after Potter' status to its advantage but it would have been so much better if another actor had played the part in my opinion. The big problem I have is that the scares got a bit cheap and a bit too frequent to really play on the suspense which I thought it lacked. It's only really big scare was stolen from the far scarier, superior and far more suspenseful Gin gwai (The Eye).

No comments:

Post a Comment