Tuesday 2 December 2014

Blue is the Warmest Colour
Dir: Abdellatif Kechiche
2013
***
Blue is the Warmest Colour caused quite a stir upon its release although I'm not quite sure why. It certainly isn't the first time lesbianism has been depicted on film, honestly or not. It's the honesty that I have the biggest problem with Blue is the Warmest Colour, as I don't seem to see any. I don't think the film speaks for most lesbians and I don't think the turn of events represents a realistic depiction of what is a huge group within society. I'm all for homosexuality in mainstream cinema but lets have an honest depiction and not a contrived version for a heterosexual audience. However, it is nice to see some realism in respect to people's very real prejudice. I suppose I didn't see the two lead characters as real people, their homosexuality aside, I couldn't relate or recognise them one bit. It's not because I'm not a lesbian either, or French for that matter. I think the source material; Blue Angel by Julie Maroh served a real purpose and is the real success story, the film is quite a bland adaptation in comparison. I did enjoy the film but no where near as the graphic novel, I suppose as a comic book and film fan I don't always agree that one should lead into the other, this story being a good example. A nice film but nothing out of the ordinary or revolutionary or most of the things I've read about it. A victim of it's own hype and not the adaptation I was hoping for but better than most films out this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment