Tuesday 9 December 2014

Sightseers
Dir: Ben Wheatley
2012
*****
Sightseers is the ultimate black comedy. That is it is very black and very funny in a surprisingly equal measure. I don't think I've seen a film like it really, I've seen many funny horror films and horror films that are very funny but this is out there on its own. I suppose it's closer to the sort of thing done in certain surreal comedy sketch shows these days but a brave and accomplished feature version. I was shocked and amused in equal measure which surprised me as I prepared myself to hate it. The writers were also the main leads which I think was key, Low and Oram had to play the characters to make them real. I was lucky enough to see this at a preview screening before release with a Q&A session with Low, Oram and director Ben Wheatley and they put all of my initial thoughts about this film to rest quite quickly. The film is a reaction to the silly things people say in relationships, the stupid lyrics we hear in love songs and the stupid things people do for the ones they love but also because it's a funny idea and it's about time we saw something new. I would have failed miserably if it hadn't have been funny but luckily it is very funny and very much worth a watch. The ending is one of the best examples of black comedy I've ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment