Wednesday 17 December 2014

The Gauntlet
Dir: Clint Eastwood
1977
**
I've read somewhere that this film is essentially an urban-domestic parable about the soldierly fallacy of the Vietnam War and a reaction to the police force highlighting the issues with their conformity, mechanised compliance and nihilistic indulgences. If that is the case though, why make it so light hearted when it really needed to be serious throughout? To be honest, I think this was a just misguided idea that developed into a crap film. I was loving it for the first 5 minutes, the 70s being my favourite decade for film but unfortunately the few things I dislike about 70s movies took over. The script is awful, the acting is dreadful and the story is stupid and doesn't work or make sense. You could probably think of many theories as to why a film made in that era is/was anti-Vietnam, many people have/do but I honestly think the majority of them are completely wrong. I do like Clint Eastwood but I find that the films he directs often lack the depth he desired, he is much more of a conformist than he thinks he is but like I said, I'm still a fan!

No comments:

Post a Comment