Tuesday 13 January 2015

Blue Valentine
Dir: Derek Cianfrance
2010
*****
Blue Valentine is pretty mundane when you think about it, there is nothing extraordinary about it, it is very real and very raw. It is extremely heart-wrenching at times not to mention emotionally draining to the point of exhaustion, the conclusion is devastating and and it will probably make you want to cry. I have to say it is one of the best films I've seen in quite a while. It is genuine and honest but it's not all bad news, the scene in the doorway where Ryan Gosling sings and Michelle Williams dances is truly wonderful and has shot right up to the top section of my 'favourite scenes of all time' list. The two actors do such a brilliant job, I couldn't see any other two actors pulling off what they did to be honest. The fireworks were a good metaphor at the end, I really hope that this isn't just a firework from Derek Cianfrance though. Highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment