Monday 19 January 2015

Control
Dir: Anton Corbijn
2007
****
Joy Division are a perfect example of a band who's music I adore without particularly liking as people. I have limited respect or sympathy for Ian Curtis, a fantastic musician but I've always had more sympathy for the Friends and family left behind after suicide. Obviously I don't include people with mental health issues in that equation. There is an unhealthy obsession with the celebrities that die young in our society, it's not a new thing but it's still quite distasteful. At no point though does Anton Corbijn sugar-coat the facts, Ian Curtis is seen for who he was in a fair and balanced manner. Anton Corbijn is a fantastic photographer and I'm delighted that he's now making feature films. It is visually beautiful but I never doubted it wouldn't be, Sam Riley and Toby Kebbell do fine jobs but I've got a soft spot for Samantha Morton, I think she is consistently brilliant. I was particularly impressed with the detail here though, the contact in blood, Stroszek being the last film he watched, Corbijn's take is as real as it could ever be and I really respect him for that. A great film, whether you were a fan of Joy Division or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment