Friday 9 January 2015

Dangerous Liaisons
Dir: Stephen Frears
1988
*****
Dangerous Liaisons oozes sex and excess, the depths of human wickedness, lust, seduction, all the good bits of life basically. It is directed beautifully by Stephen Frears who doesn't stick to a cliched look at this particular period in France but gives the story an element of believability at the same time as bringing a brilliant bit of theatre to life. No one else really does this as well as Frears, I can't see anyone else getting away with a film like The Queen for example, his technique of bringing theatre to the screen is great as it is unique. The performances are among the collective cast's best, if I read the script yesterday and the film had never been made I certainly wouldn't think Glenn Close and John Malkovich but that is why I'm not a casting director, I don't think I've enjoyed either actor as much as I did in this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment