Thursday 29 January 2015

I Love You Phillip Morris
Dir: Glenn Ficarra, John Requa
2009
***
It's sometimes quite gringeworthy to watch a couple of straight actors play gay characters and tick every stereotype in the book along the way. Ewan McGregor gets away with it and so does Jim Carrey but only by the skin of his teeth. I would have been disappointed if they hadn't at least had a real kiss but they did, so good. I think the fact that this is a true story definitely helped with my enjoyment of the film and overall I really liked it, it is a unique and very touching love story but I'm not sure the duo directors did as good a job as they could. The jump from comedy to drama was not a smooth one, Carrey can do it and has proven so, so there really isn't any excuse. There was just so much to work with here, maybe it could have been a hit TV show! Alas, it is just a mere film, a good one but one that could have been great.

No comments:

Post a Comment