Monday 19 January 2015

MrsBrown's Boys D'Movie
Dir: Ben Kellett
2014
**
I quite liked the early days of MrsBrown's Boys, the format and warming performance from Brendan O'Carroll was quite appealing. However, it started to wain somewhat when it became clear that apart from Brendan O'Carroll's son, the rest of the cast (pretty much his whole family) were fairly awful at what they did. I was fed bad information by my Mother-in-law a few years ago when inquiring what my Father-in-law would like for his 60th. I bought tickets for them, my Wife and me to see MrsBrown's Boys live and we all agree that it was a painful 3 hours of our lives we wish we could get back. So I watched the film version of the show without much enthusiasm. Good TV shows usually fail to make good films, so maybe it's because it's not such a great TV show did it make an okay film. It's no masterpiece but what I really admired about it was the fact they left all of the 'live' stuff in. Outtakes that really were funny were left in the film, a first I believe in cinema and very effective it was too. The story is absolute nonsense and the casual racism knocks it back a fair bit but it's not absolutely terrible. Just terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment