Friday 23 January 2015

Pauline at the Beach
Dir: Éric Rohmer
1983
***
Pauline At The Beach is a return to form for a great director who in my opinion was stuck in a rut for the five or so years prior. This ain't no Clare's Knee but it does possess the same innocence and actually makes sense as a 'Comedies et Proverbes' unlike some of his past films that have sat under that title. Some of the characters are better developed than others and I don't think much can be learnt from this film but it is very watchable and very likable and turns the phrase (that I hate), 'Coming of age' on its head somewhat. Oh, and no, I didn't just like it because it's got plenty of nudity in it! There is an element of (and I suspect as much) 'It was either this or Television' which may sound harsh but I'm glad he stuck with film.

No comments:

Post a Comment