Wednesday 28 January 2015

Rango
Dir: Gore Verbinski
2011
****
I don't know why but at first I was unsure whether I was going to enjoy Rango, such was all the hype. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised, the CGI animation industry doesn't half churn out some absolute garbage but Rango maybe the one to change all that. It's very inventive, very odd in places and quite brave in the commercial world. I think it's safe to say this is for adults though, not that it's unsuitable for kids in the usual sense, I just don't think they'd understand or enjoy it but then why can't we have one for ourselves for a change. It's a heartfelt homage to the classic western and unless you're a fan, you might miss many nods to various favourites of the genres but it won't spoil it if you haven't. The animation is also far superior to anything else I've seen and the surreal fantasy scenes are brilliant. A very pleasant surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment