Tuesday 13 January 2015

Tamara Drewe
Dir: Stephen Frears
2010
***
Tamara Drewe isn't the film I was expecting. I was pleasantly surprised by many elements but overall disappointed considering all the hype it received. First off, I've not read the Graphic novel, I love my comics but I can't say this was on my 'Must read' list and it still isn't. Basically, Tamara Drewe the character (and in many ways Gemma Arterton the actor) are not the prominent or even the important elements of this film. It almost feels like a pointless character, one that has very little to do with the others and is certainly the least interesting. The quite unfairly treated supporting characters (and actors) are the real reasons to watch this film, two words; Tamsin Greig. Watch it for the wonderful Tamsin Greig alone. Roger Allam, Bill Camp and Dominic Cooper play their parts well and the young Jessica Barden is also brilliant and is definitely one to watch. The comedy turns black for the grand finale which is very welcome but unfortunately you have to sit through a pretty gentle comedy to get there. Definitely worth a watch though!

No comments:

Post a Comment