Friday 23 January 2015


The Dreamers
Dir: Bernardo Bertolucci
2003
**
Bernardo Bertolucci's The Dreamers is a love letter/tribute to the 1960's French New wave cinema movement and the political movements of the era in general (although it actually cheapens the work of the activists that it tries to acknowledge). I liked the interweaving footage of classic films and how the characters reenacted them but that's pretty much as far as my enthusiasm goes for this film. It doesn't come close to the films it tries to emulate, the script is far from intelligent, the acting is just okay but the characters are unlikable and actually quite unbelievable. I think this is down to bad direction. The actors were pretending, almost mimicking but not actually acting and it is neither erotic or sensual. Just because you see Eva Green's genitalia, does not make it sexy (believe it or not). If erotic is bathing in someones period blood and shagging ones own sibling then I'm quite happy to report there is nothing erotic about me. Seriously though, I'm no prude, there is story here but it's not the 'Ultra sexy' film it's been hailed as nor is it close to being a masterpiece. The Telegraph is quoted as saying 'Sometimes forbidden fruit is the most delectable' - dirty newspaper, I mean really, boobs are great but not when they belong to your sister! This film is as fake as it comes, maybe it's 40 years too late but then not all of the New wave was credible either. For me It was like like a bad Godard, but far worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment