Wednesday 14 January 2015

The Green Hornet
Dir: Michel Gondry
2011
***
My expectations were low due to the negative feedback that this film received but by the end I found myself pleasantly surprised. Michel Gondry was an interesting choice of director but I believe his quirkiness works well here. I found no fault with the acting, Christoph Waltz I thought was a great villain, the set pieces were pretty good and I thought the script and story were very well thought-out and appropriate considering all the problems over the years, trying to get this film made. It breaks down like this, you won't like this film if you don't like Seth Rogen. I'm not his biggest fan but I think he's likable enough. You've got to hand to to him, without him The Green Hornet would have continued to float in the ether of film production hell. I think his story (he wrote and produced it) was the only logical way to go to keep it fresh and to not take it too seriously. It's no masterpiece and I expect more from a director like Gondry but it does the job, feels original and I found it entertaining throughout. I think time will be kind to this film but only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment