Thursday 22 January 2015



The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
Dir: Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger
1943
*****
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp isn't just my favourite Powell & Pressburger film, it has shot right to the top section of my favourite films of all time. It's amazing to think that this was actually shot during the blitz in 1943. No wonder Mr. Churchill wasn't impressed but I think the main message of what it is to be British was totally misunderstood as being unpatriotic at the time. I would love to know what people who watched it at the time thought of it, when many of the films of the time were, understandably, laden with propaganda. A truly brilliant film, with brilliant performances and one of the best written scripts in the history of cinema. I can't recommend it enough, it is an absolute joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment