Wednesday 14 January 2015

The Majestic
Dir: Frank Darabont
2001
****
A pure feel-good film, typical of Frank Darabont who was obviously highly influenced by Capra. The Majestic is quite cheesy but deliberately so I believe, the 1950's are depicted the Hollywood way, by memories of people too young to remember, not altogether false but very sugar-coated. This is one of the few Jim Carrey films I've enjoyed, I wish he'd play it straight a little more often. The supporting cast is also very strong, I particularly enjoyed the Bruce Campbell cameo that I was unaware of and rather pleasantly surprised by. It's all a bit of nonsense really at the end of the day but it's very easy to watch, makes you feel good and it does invoke the same magic that the films it's influenced by do. Frank Darabont really doesn't make enough films considering his talent and success.

No comments:

Post a Comment