Tuesday 13 January 2015

The Prince and the Pauper (AKA Crossed Swords)
Dir: Richard Fleischer
1977
***
The Prince and the Pauper had quite the negative feedback back in 1977, the biggest criticism being that Mark Lester (of Oliver fame) was a poor choice of lead. It's true he can't act (and never did again) but then hiring a 6 foot 18 year old to play a 9 year old was always a questionable decision. It's no masterpiece but I think that's why I like it. The behind the scenes antics do sound more fun than the film though, what with Rex Harrison and Charlton Heston not getting on and Oliver Reed bringing a Prostitute on set as a Birthday present for Mark Lester. I like the dodgy sets, I like Ernest Borgnine's terrible cockney accent, I liked the overacting of the experienced and the lack of acting from the inexperienced. It's not 'so bad it's good' in the classical sense, it just has a certain charm about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment