Thursday 8 January 2015

Tiny Furniture
Dir: Lena Dunham
2010
****
Countless amounts of films have been made about puberty, some of them are quite good too but there aren't that many about the early twenties. That bit between where you graduate and then go on to do whatever it is that comes next. The only other one I can think of is The Graduate, although the only one that has an ounce of reality about it in my opinion is Tiny Furniture. I'd never heard of Lena Dunham before but she's definitely on my radar now as I thought Tiny Furniture was brilliant, the next stage of independent film and a real era defining film that all generations can relate to in one way or another. What her character might lack in likability (stop moping about and get a job the over 30s shout) but the fact that at one time or another we've all been there makes the viewer instantly protective of her. The story is semi-autobiographical, this makes me admire her even more as nothing is sugar-coated, far from it in fact. The supporting performance from Jemima Kirke is also worth a mention, she plays spoiled and unlikable brat in such a way that you don't necessarily hate her but simply can't keep your eyes off of her. I loved it, I'm sure many wont though, I suspect it is a love or hate film.

No comments:

Post a Comment