Tuesday 13 January 2015

Transsiberian
Dir: Brad Anderson
2008
**
I really like Brad Anderson, he's a director who really understands film and doesn't reply on cheap tricks. Transsiberian is a brilliantly crafted film, its well written and beautifully directed. However, as much as I appreciated the time spent on character development, the 'eclectic' cast just doesn't work. I can think of a hundred better choices than Woody Harrelson and Emily Mortimer, even Ben Kingsley's performance was questionable. He can do scary too, he was terrifying in Sexy Beast, but never convincing (or scary) here. I don't think much of Kate Mara anyway, I suppose she was alright in this role but again, others could have done better. The cast is my only real gripe about the film, that and the over the top music and cliched Innocent American vs. evil non-American (attention all Americans, never leave America, it's not safe etc) but unfortunately these are big enough gripes for me to have not enjoyed it as much as I really wanted to.

No comments:

Post a Comment