Friday 23 January 2015

Young Sherlock Holmes
Dir: Chris Columbus
1985
****
Young Sherlock Holmes was the must see film when I was at school in 1985. I remember it was the first film where I really appreciated the art of special effects, the scene where the stain-glass window comes to life was particularly impressive and left its mark on me (I studied Graphic design). I believe it was the first big gig for Pixar that really got them started and it still looks good today. I did enjoy the film, then and during a recent re-watch but I think it's a little disrespectful to Arthur Conan Doyle's original books, forgivable but a little bit naughty. It's obviously been a huge influence to J.K. Rowling too, funny how Chris Columbus wrote this and then went on to direct Harry Potter, I can't help but think the Conan Doyle estate have a good case here (no s**t Sherlock).

No comments:

Post a Comment