Monday 16 February 2015

All Good Things
Dir: Andrew Jarecki
2010
***
I've been looking forward to Andrew Jarecki's first feature since Capturing the Friedmans came out. He also executive produced Catfish, so exploring a notorious true story such as this got me, and a lot of other people excited. Unfortunately it's a little thin round the edges. I love Ryan Gosling but he didn't really bring anything to the role here, unless he acted exactly like Robert Durst does, someone please correct me if this is the case but what I saw was a passionless performance. Everyone else did a good job but the slow paced first half meant that the exciting and unpredictable second half came with a disjointed jolt. I don't feel a lot of things were explained very well, theories weren't explored and certain unimportant moments seemed to drag in some scenes while years passed in seconds in others. I liked it but the twists could have been handled better and the theories developed or even explained a little more clearly. I felt at times that they were worried about being sued too much, went to say something and then didn't. Good but a little frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment