Tuesday 10 February 2015

American Hustle
Dir: David O. Russell
2013
***
I remember being one of the only people not that bothered about David O. Russell's Three Kings when it came out in 1999. I also remember being one of the few people who liked his follow up 'I Heart Huckabees' that came five years later. It's safe to say David O. Russell divides opinion although he's had quite a good run of it since 2010's The Fighter, which won several awards and plenty of recognition. Silver Linings Playbook followed nicely and then came American Hustle which also did well. Once again, like back in 1999, I don't really know why all the fuss. Late 70's style - great, funny clothes - fine, story - not really all that. For me, American Hustle is a big film with only a few great moments. Jennifer Lawrence's character has all the best lines, her scenes were great and she played the unlikable and spurned brilliantly. I'm not sure anyone else really delivered a performance worth talking about. Apart from a couple of great lines and only a couple of laughs, it is purely style over content. I liked it, but it's really nothing special and personally I think David O. Russell can do a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment