Friday 6 February 2015


AugustOsage County
Dir: John Wells
2013
****
AugustOsage County is a bit more than just a comedy/drama revolving around an unorthodox family. The film posters on it release couldn't have been more misleading if they had tried - a real pet hate of mine. Disjointed families are nothing new but these characters definitely are. I'm kicking myself for breaking one of my own rules by not reading the book first but I can only assume that the actors, especially Julia Roberts and (particularly) Meryl Streep, did the characters justice. Both Streep and Roberts performances are a force to be reckoned with and a wonder to behold, it was a little tough that neither won the Oscar in their categories. I love that AugustOsage County doesn't try to be likable in any way, it's something new, something different but also somewhat old school. It's a bit Larry McMurtry, an updated ballsy 1970's family drama, it bursts bubbles but also makes you laugh, definitely my kind of film.

No comments:

Post a Comment