Wednesday 4 February 2015

Bad LieutenantPort of Call New Orleans
Dir: Werner Herzog
2009
****
Werner Herzog's version/reworking/adaptation/not-quite-a-remake/definitely-not-a-sequel of Abel Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant is not the film I was expecting. Maybe I'm biased because I love Herzog's films but I thought it was better than Abel Ferrara's but only from a directorial point of view. It's interesting comparing the two, the first is quite theatrical thanks to Harvey Keitel's brilliant performance and the latter is theatrical due to Herzog's exuberant directing. I have to admit though, for all the surrealism, Lizards and 'Dancing souls', and of course Nicolas Cage's brilliant performance, the original is the better of the two. Maybe they shouldn't really be compared, they're very different films but it's hard not to. Herzog's film is a lot more fun than most of his work, different, not as good but quite refreshing all the same. I'm not sure I was supposed to but I came out of the cinema with a big smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment