Friday 6 February 2015


Crumb
Dir: Terry Zwigoff
1995
****
I have a love hate relationship with Crumb's work. Most of it I love but the part I hate is explained as the main topic in this documentary. Indeed, everything becomes clear when you learn of his upbringing and to be honest out of the three brothers, it sounds like he got it good. It is shockingly and disturbingly honest, at one point Crumb's brother Charles admits to having paedophilic feelings and no one seems to blink an eyelid. We are told at the end of the documentary he went on to commit suicide just a year later. It is a fascinating documentary, I can't say it made me warm to Crumb much, it's still love/hate as far as his work goes and there is only so much you can blame on your childhood. I believe all three brothers are dysfunctional geniuses but Crumb is the only hypocrite. Selling out is matter of opinion. Brilliant documentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment