Wednesday 4 February 2015

Marmaduke
Dir: Tom Dey
2010
*
I love Brad Anderson's Marmaduke comic strip. My Grandma used to cut it out of the paper every day and we would read them together. This film does not resemble that comic strip in the slightest. Not a surprise, in fact, I sat down to watch this film with the understanding that it is a modern interpretation of the character, I was fine with that and so I wasn't too surprised or upset when it turned out to be a disappointing film for me. However, I had no idea just how awful it was going to be and so I still got a little bit upset. After so many terrible talking animal films there really isn't an excuse, the filmmakers should have at least got something right! People have stated that this one is purely for the kids, well I disagree. My kids will never be allowed to watch this bile, I'd rather they watched the Saw movies to be honest. It's incredibly preachy, its moral stories are convoluted and contradictory and the humanising of the animals is just horrid. Dogs are quite fun as dogs, they don't need to surf/dance/date/copy every 'teen' film made in the last 40 years for us to enjoy them. Avoid this film at all costs, unless you're the kind of person that thinks cutting a dogs tail off and sticking lolly sticks in its ears is acceptable and 'cute', then you will probably like it. You utter bastard.

No comments:

Post a Comment