Friday 20 February 2015

Miral
Dir: Julian Schnabel
2010
****
Reading the various negative reviews of Miral is laughable but predictable, perticullarly of the American press. I very much doubt that any of the critics have actually read Rula Jebreal's heartbreaking novel on which the film is based, not that it matters to them though I wouldn't think. I have actually read her novel, the true story of her life in the Dar El-Tifel orphanage and the film captures her words perfectly. Like any adaptation, there are parts missing but the key moments are there and are glorious - If there is one thing Julian Schnabel has proved, it's that he has the utmost respect for every adaptation he has directed. I would suggest that the critics have more problems with the political viewpoints than the film itself but that just shows their ignorance. Hind al-Husseini was a remarkable person and it is great to see her recognised here for the good she has done, it would be great to see a film dedicated to telling her story in detail. Julian Schnabel still doesn't seem to be getting the credit he deserves, maybe I'm a little bit biased because he made a film about my favourite artists and adapted my favourite book but then again, wouldn't that make me more critical of his work? Miral is a great film, it is not a 'muddled melodrama' like the American press would have you believe, it is an important insight into the lives of the orphans of the Deir Yassin massacre and the unrest there ever since and should be seen. One sided to deniers only, there is proof it happened , the one-sided argument is ignorant. Julian Schnabel has got this one just right, if he hadn't I very much doubt his girlfriend RULA JEBREAL!! wouldn't have let him direct/release it.

No comments:

Post a Comment