Tuesday 3 February 2015

My Week with Marilyn
Dir: Simon Curtis
2012
****
I thoroughly enjoyed My Week with Marilyn. The ensemble cast is fantastic with Branagh and Dench as great supporting actors but Michelle Williams stealing the show as Marilyn Monroe. She is brilliant in the role, so much so that I kept having to remind myself that she wasn't the real Marilyn, I exaggerate not. She is fast becoming my favourite actress, with her last few films being my favourite of the last few years. Although the story is based on Colin Clark's book, it's fair to say that his memory was slightly blurred my his whirlwind romance, understandable but when it comes to that odd scene where we see Jack Cardiff say hello it doesn't quite ring true. I met Jack a few years ago at Brighton film school, he tried to sell us original photos of Marilyn for ridiculous sums of money. He was old and had lost it a bit but he spoke of Marilyn in the most wonderful way, I can understand how she captivated so many. I did however, appreciate the uncomplicated mood of the story - what many see as being dull I saw as being focused. The two second Norman Wisdom appearance was great though and very much appreciated, wouldn't it have been great if he was in The Prince and the Showgirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment