Wednesday 11 February 2015

Only You
Dir: Norman Jewison
1994
****
I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again but I don't like the term 'Chick-flick'. It usually describes a ridiculous, formulaic, unfunny turn of cliched and stereotypical events involving women. It's usually pretty insulting towards women too but I wonder how many people actually pick up on that. Only You isn't aimed more at the female market and so men can also enjoy which immediately makes it better in its field. The characters are likable too, a fairly simple idea that Hollywood seems to have forgotten of late. Indeed, simple (not ridiculous) ideas seem to be lacking in this genre, Hollywood should remember this little hit. I think I'm a little in love with Marisa Tomei, so maybe I'm biased but I really liked this film. Robert Downey Jr and Billy Zane are also really good in their roles, you can barely tell that Downey Jr is off his nut which also helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment