Wednesday 18 February 2015

Piranha 3D
Dir: Alexandre Aja
2010
***
Piranha 3D is what it is. In my opinion, this is why 3D was invented, so that horror film makers can make things pop out at you which make you jump, then make you laugh. Like it or not, this is pretty much the best of its (sub)genre. It has an eclectic cast of likable actors and exciting cameos (Richard Dreyfuss's Jaws nod was pretty cool) which, apart from Jerry O'Connell, was genius at work. Then it's boobs and gore, the two main ingredient of any horror film. Now, I've not always been a fan of mixing nudity and horror, I think there is something wrong with that but here the tongue is very firmly in cheek and I think there is something for everyone to enjoy. It's all in the detail too, in the last scene where a big busted girl is being eaten alive, I though 'Cool' as her eye-ball popped out and my wife said 'I knew it' when you could see her hair weave float away, like I said, something for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment