Friday 13 February 2015

Primer
Dir: Shane Carruth
2004
*****
I'm not sure I have ever been so impressed by a film as I have with Primer. Firstly, the story is brilliant, a highly original concept of a genre that has been done to death - no mean feat! Not only that, it looks good, is acted so well you could be forgiven for thinking it was a fly on the wall documentary and, and it's a big and, it was made for a measly $7000. Time travel is a subject well covered in cinema, when it's good it's good and when it's bad it's awful but never has it been so believable as it is in Primer. It's sad that this isn't more critically acclaimed, I think that's sadly down to the fact that so many films are dumbed down that audiences now need everything to be spelled out to them otherwise they're not interested. When anyone tells me to 'just switch off your brain and enjoy' I make a point of doing quite the opposite. I can't fault Primer, as a film fan and a want to be film maker I'm utterly impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment