Friday 13 February 2015

The Black Dahlia
Dir: Brian De Palma
2006
**
Unfortunately the criticism that this film has received is deserved. It is pretty boring and just plain laughable at times. I really wish I'd read the book first as I've heard it's quite good, I've even got it on the shelf but this was on TV and I thought I'd give it a go. It's no LA Confidential that's for sure. Josh Hartnett does no wrong as such but he doesn't really do much at all, same goes for Aaron Eckhart too I'm sorry to say. Hilary Swank started out well but then turned into the most stupid character of all time, Fiona Shaw is hilarious as her mad mother, turning would should be a gritty drama into a pantomime and Scarlett Johansson spends the entire film trying to play a good actress instead of actually acting well. I believe she thinks all she has to do is pout, indeed, when in doubt...
By the time the film ends and you already know 'Who done it' but you're past caring (or believing). The story deserved better, not Brian De Palma's best work.

No comments:

Post a Comment