Wednesday 18 February 2015



The Captains
Dir: William Shatner
2011
****
William Shatner's The Captains (a collection of interviews with all the Star Trek captains to date) is one of the funniest (unintentional) comedies I have ever seen. It's ego vs. ego with a little bit of madness for good measure. It's Shatner's finest directing since Star Trek V: The Final Frontier and it is just as quotable. The interviews with Patrick Stewart are pompous beyond belief, poor old Kate Mulgrew suffers Shatner at his creepiest, Chris Pine comes across arrogant and Shatner obviously doesn't like him, Scott Bakula comes out best but he can't seem to get over Quantum Leap and talks of it more than he does Star Trek and Avery Brooks..well, all I'll say is that his interview is the funniest and most peculiar I've ever seen. I had tears in my eyes when, as Brooks tickled the ivories, swung his head back and forth 'Jazz' style was asked totally out of the blue (and in song), 'Does God exist?'. Completely nuts, I just can't tell if it was intentional or not. A must for Trekkies and connoisseurs of the strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment