Wednesday 25 February 2015



The Dirty Dozen
Dir: Robert Aldrich
1967
****
1967's The Dirty Dozen is a classic blokes film. It's brash, clunky and hasn't washed behind the ears. It's pretty far from being the best WW2 film though, yes it's set during WW2 and they're WW2 soldiers but somehow, it just isn't a WW2 film. It's about killing Nazis sure but there is no history here, just an idea set in a time period, so calling it one of the greatest war films doesn't sit too well with me. I can help but think films like this influenced many a exploitation film in many ways, it certainly gave birth to the likes of Inglorious bastards (the original). It's a great film though, not really my cup of tea but I can see why everyone likes it. The cast is fantastic and the main reason for watching, Marvin and Bronson are ace but for me Cassavetes steals the show - he was as good an actor as he was a director in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment