Monday 9 February 2015

Water Lilies
Dir: Céline Sciamma
2007
****
I have never been a 15 year old girl unsure of my sexuality and yet I strangely felt a connection and an understanding with this film. That is this films strength and why Céline Sciamma's debut should be celebrated. It brings back very strong memories of adolescence, puberty and the confusion that goes with it. I've said it before, there is nothing more pathetic than a 16 year old boy in love and I guess the same goes for girls too. It is quite slow to start, with melancholy mood. It is also quite brutal at times and often difficult to watch, all adding to its overall impact. While at times it doesn't grab your attention as much as it should, it is always beautiful to watch, the underwater scenes are particularly well done. As debuts go it is very impressive and I look forward to seeing more from the relatively young director.

No comments:

Post a Comment