Monday 9 March 2015

Alice in Wonderland
Dir: Tim Burton
2010
**
I didn't hate this film but I didn't particularly enjoy it either. There are many things I liked about it, the majority of the special effects were very good (not sure about the giant heads though), I loved Stephen Fry's Cheshire Cat and who would have thought Barbara Windsor would ever pop up in a Tim Burton film? I liked that they included elements of Through the looking glass too, although a faithful sequel would have been good but that brings me to what I did disliked the most about this film. Lewis Carroll wrote a wonderful story that people have enjoyed for generations. Why rewrite it? Alice in Wonderland has been adapted through film and animation many times since it was written, it is one of those stories that seems to really inspire artists working in lots of different mediums and it's always interesting to see new and imaginative imagery inspired by the story. Tim Burton is almost a genre in his own right, his visual style is recognisable world wide, so I wonder then why he reverted to the original Disney version for so much of the imagery? Has he completely sold out? I still consider myself a fan of his but at this rate I won't be for long. Not without charm but overall a disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment