Tuesday 10 March 2015

Duplicity
Dir: Tony Gilroy
2009
***
It's funny, half way through Tony Gilroy's 2009 Duplicity, I became quite frustrated. I felt it was getting quite repetitive and you could tell the ending could only have one of two possible outcomes and I wasn't really fussed by either. This was true up until a point. I've never changed my mind so quickly and so drastically about an ending as I have for this film. Disappointment was followed very quickly by total fulfillment, laughter and a sort of sense of relief. Tony Gilroy's directing style is impressive too, I don't think he totally pulled off the split-screen scenes particularly well but on the whole the rest of the film was pretty stylish. Certainly not a perfect film, not as good as Michael Clayton but the love/hate ending really made it worth it for me personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment