Friday 6 March 2015



Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Dir: Mike Newell
2005
**

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, the forth film of the franchise, is easily my least favourite. I've not read the books and it isn't really my thing but the formula was wearing a little thin for me by this point (as did it for J.K. Rowling herself it seems, according to her Autobiography). I tired of the unrealistic and actually rather odd beginning sequences whereby Harry is neglected (abused even) by his Uncle and Aunt, the catching the train sequence, the romantic notion of public boarding school, the 'chosen one' story line etc. The inclusion of the Quidditch world Cup bored me to tears, not only is it a stupid idea for a sport, it just laid on the public boarding school/school house thing way too thick for people like me who loath that kind of thing and who couldn't wait to be rid of it when I was the age Harry and co are in the film. Again the cast is good and the ending was a welcome dark conclusion but it was a little samey and again, really not my kind of thing. Mike Newell was a puzzling choice to take over directional duties, I'm not sure he got it right and according to my Sister, a big Harry Potter fan, they didn't get the book right at all. I'll have to take her word for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment