Wednesday 11 March 2015



I'm Still Here
Dir: Casey Affleck
2010
***
I'm sure that when Phoenix and Affleck came up with this venture that it sounded like a really good idea. I suppose I would agree, it is an interesting experiment on paper, just not so much in reality. Hats off to them for keeping this up for two years, that takes commitment, the only problem seems to have been that they ran out of full steam after a few months and the message got lost. I would argue that Phoenix's performance is outstanding though, not many actors can do 'breakdown' so convincingly but his was awesome and he risked his career and was publicly ridiculed doing so, and that's where this film's strength is in my opinion. The Letterman interview was brutal but it was Letterman who came out worse as far as I'm concerned, I wanted to look away but just couldn't. I think the way he was treated was appalling, but unfortunately unsurprising in this day and age, I think they were both a little naive to think that this would be a revelation but they got the message across - just. I think a little bit of ego got in the way at times. It doesn't help that he sings the praises of David Letterman in an interview that comes as an extra on the DVD, adding to the confusion. Two years work without any back up or real explanation? It's messy, confused and not particularly entertaining. It has moments of greatness but overall isn't that great although in 20 years time It will probably be regarded as a work of pure genius, I guess only time will tell. I base my rating on Phoenix's performance, the commitment of everyone involved and the 'future classic' Letterman scene and I'm probably being far too generous. It's a hard film to review because it's still not clear what the main point is.

No comments:

Post a Comment