Wednesday 4 March 2015



John Carter
Dir: Andrew Stanton 
2012
***
Well I actually quite liked it. Here I am again in the minority but unlike other favourite sci-fi books I read as a child (The Hitch-hikers guide to the Galaxy comes to mind) this is actually pretty close to being a perfect adaptation. Many have said that they should have maybe updated the story, given that it has influenced so much Sci-fi in the last 100 years (pretty much everything), but then what would the point of that? I'm really glad a real fan has brought this to the screen and stuck to the books as best he could. I do wish it was called John Carter of Mars and I would have preferred an adaptation for each book but for fickle cinema goers who can't even be bothered to read anymore he did the very best he could and what he has made is pretty good in my book. Now, if someone could now make The Stainless Steel Rat and Bill, the Galactic Hero books, my childhood will be complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment