Tuesday 10 March 2015



Max Payne
Dir: John Moore
2008
**
Having never played Max Payne the video game, on which the film is based, I have nothing to go on as far as adaptation goes but I'm not sure if that matters so much does anyway. I liked the noir style of this film, the direction is impressive, the darkly lit alleyways, the no-mans land of New York's side streets and the lingering snow that continually floats throughout the film were all really nice touches. I thought the CGI demons/dark angels were done particularly well. Also, the acting was fine - Mark Wahlberg isn't the worlds greatest actor but he's likable and that's what gets him through. I thought Chris "Ludacris" Bridges was also quite good and thought he deserved a bigger role. The only real problem and unfortunately the most important thing to get right in a film, was the story. It was uninteresting and predictable. Style over substance.

No comments:

Post a Comment