Wednesday 4 March 2015



Permanent Vacation
Dir: Jim Jarmusch
1980
*****
Not to be mistaken with W. Scott Peake's 2007 film, Jim Jarmusch's first feature film is both very amateur and very mature, although looking through Jarmusch's other films, maybe it's not as amateur as it first seems and maybe intentionally so. This film only has three elements to it as far as I could see. New York, Chris Parker and the script. All three are brilliant. New York looks dirty and lonely but big and magnificent, Chris Parker is completely believable as the young man looking for the answers and the script (was it scripted?) is pure Jarmusch. Bleak, thought-provoking and too cool for school. The film's title is taken from a lyric in the song "My Boyfriend's Back", by The Angels; "If I were you, I'd take a permanent vacation" which reminds me, the music was also amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment