Monday 23 March 2015



Rosemary's Baby
Dir: Roman Polanski
1968
*****
There is much I love about Rosemary's baby but putting the great story, fantastic acting and the beautiful Mia Farrow to one side, I just loved seeing 1960's New York. I digress, this is one of the few brilliant horror/thriller's that has stood the test of time. The very thought sends shivers down the spine and there is so much more to it than its conclusion. The little things like not being able to trust your Husband, your Doctor or your neighbours is actually a terrifying thought. It's interesting too, the fact that the husband had sex with his Wife while she was asleep certainly isn't depicted as being a good thing but the fact that it is actually rape is never raised, such was the feeling of that time. I can't help but think this may have highlighted certain feelings of the day, adding a very different level of horror. I thought Mia Farrow was fantastic but I also really thought John Cassavetes did a great job. I've been a big fan of his directing for some time but this is the best I've seen him in an acting role out of his own work. The wonderful Ruth Gordon thoroughly deserved her best supporting role Oscar too, and the whole film deserves its praise and reputation.

No comments:

Post a Comment