Tuesday 17 March 2015


Shopgirl
Dir: Anand Tucker 
2005
***
Anand Tucker 's Shopgirl has very few touching moments, when they do appear they have a big impact but I think this is generally down to the fact that the two main performances are like watching two Shop mannequins acting against each other rather than because it's well written. When I say well written though I mean the script, as I have not yet read the book. The direction is good, each scene is quite stylish, with each background representing each character which is visually effective but often used instead of desperately needed character development. It's too patchy to give it much credit to be honest, I had no idea Steve Martin had written a novel but as much as I love him, it's sounds a bit odd, especially for a middle-aged man to be writing. Maybe it's an 'LA' thing but it's certainly not my thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment