Tuesday 10 March 2015


Teeth
Dir: Mitchell Lichtenstein
2007
**
I was a bit disappointed with Mitchell Lichtenstein's 2007 comedy horror film Teeth. I thought it was going to be a bit more like a Frank Henenlotter film I suppose. It was quite uneasy viewing really, which shocked me as I like all sorts of weird films that are more graphic and far more disturbing. I guess it was in the way it was handled. You expect to be shocked with a Takeshi Miike film for instance, Mitchell Lichtenstein isn't that kind of director but it is that kind of film. Also the humour element doesn't sit well, sure it has its funny bits (the dog eating the penis) but it doesn't draw a line between what is intentional and what is subsequent. Calling it a black comedy doesn't really justify anything. It also depicts all men as perverted rapists, which is just lazy and stupid of the writers. A weird comedy horror born from the Exploitation movement but without being anything like that sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment