Monday 20 April 2015

A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III
Dir: Roman Coppola
2013
*****
File Roman Coppola's; A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III, under films everyone hates but me. I wonder why that is though? Do people now have an aversion to anything the Coppola family (or the lesser known members) create? It's not a perfect film but for me that was one of the reasons why I loved it so much, it's imperfections made it very endearing to me, what it lacks in structure (usual Hollywood formulaic rubbish) it more than makes up for in charm and sincerity. A vast and varied cast doesn't always guarantee success either but this vast and varied cast including Bill Murray, Jason Schwartzman, Katheryn Winnick, Patricia Arquette and Charlie Sheen do a fantastic job with the already quick and witty script they were given. I fear the real reason the film bombed is because of its main star, Mr Charlie Sheen. Released during his very public meltdown (or was it?), his unpopularity was in full swing thanks to the media's obsession with celebrity, when they say things vaguely interesting (on drugs) and the fact it was a slow news month (although it doesn't always have to be these days). It's a shame really because Charlie Sheen is really good in it. The whole cast are. The script is fresh and zippy, the direction is full of life and colour and the whole production is a big breath of fresh escapism. Destined for cult classic status, mark my words, it's certainly one of my favorite films of 2013 by a long way. I fear for all its criticism not that many people have even seen it, which I think is a terrible shame. I wonder if Jean Cocteau would be making films like this if he were alive in 2013, I kid you not!

No comments:

Post a Comment