Thursday 16 April 2015

Hockney
Dir: Randall Wright
2014
***
Randall Wright's alternative biopic of the life and work of one of Britain's most iconic artists is structured differently than most documentaries but not entirely as effectively as it could have been in my opinion. When it comes to biopic documentaries I have to say I'm a fan of the tried and tested linear formula. There is that here to some degree but I felt that huge chunks (decades of work) were left out. There are quite a few documentaries about the life and work of David Hockney around, probably one for every chapter of his work so far, so this was always going to be a somewhat diluted version of what I already had seen but his opinions as an older man more than make up for this and are essentially the reason to watch. It's entertaining and informative, a great place to start if you don't know that much about him but I believe he deserved more, at least another hour and a half worth of footage/interview time.

No comments:

Post a Comment