Thursday 16 April 2015



The Book of Eli
Dir: The Hughes Brothers, Alien Hughes, Albert Hughes
2010
**
Among the cliches and bad acting there is a good story in The Hughes Brothers' The Book of Eli. I like a good post-apocalyptic movie but I hate the now cliched post-apocalyptic ideas of punk gangs on Motorcycles, every man being a rapist etc, I liked the idea of the Bible being a weapon of sorts though, a way to control that only those born before the 'event' understand. It's quite a clever idea but it gets ridiculously preachy. Sure, save what you can but the whole 'God sent me' story-line is stupid (yeah, thanks for the Apocalypse God, very nice of you, cheers!). Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman are okay, Oldman maybe just a little on the wrong side of over the top but both are in the clear compared to Mila Kunis's performance. Honestly, they should have just animated Meg in there and had done with it. I almost didn't register Michael Gambon's performance because towards the end as my concentration waned somewhat (I was bored to tears) although I liked the Gary Oldman ending, just but not the Denzel Washington ending so much. I'm sure I noticed a certain scene whereby Washington obviously isn't blind but I really can't be bothered to find it again, the film really isn't worth the effort. Only the cinematography really impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment